Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:48:07 -0800
From:      Peter Prokein <prokein@arsc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Elsa Gladiac + XFree86 4.1.0 problem

Folks,

         Let's see if I can sufficiently describe what is going on. I
installed FreeBSD 4.3 using only the "User" option. Then I manually
installed XFree86 4.1.0 using "sh Xinstall.sh". All went find. Then I ran
"XFree86 -configure", went fine. XFree86Config reads that the card detected
is an ELSA Gladiac MX and the driver to be used is "nv", but is also
detected the card on BusID: PCI instead of AGP (not sure if it is supposed
to say AGP anyway). But when I start "XFree86 -xfconfig
/root/XFree86Config.new" the server sort of starts up, but then all I see
is a grayish screen with a black X which has a white border (my cursor). I
can move that cursor around, but that is all  can do. The server responds
to CtrlAtlBackspace, but not to CtrlAlt+. When shutting the server down
with CtrlAltBackspace no errors appear, looks like a normal shutdown (as
far as I can tell).

         Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Peter