Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:45:43 -0800
From:      Patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com>
To:        Martin Koch Andersen <martin@925.dk>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update auto merge fails on trivial VC lines

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Martin Koch Andersen <martin@925.dk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When upgrading from FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE to 9.0-RELEASE using
> freebsd-update, I'm asked to merge, what seems like, everything in /etc
> manually.
> And all of the merges are trivial version controls lines.
>
> E.g. my /etc/amd.map (which I never modified) begins with:
>
> # $FreeBSD: releng/8.2/etc/amd.map 164015 2006-11-06 01:42:11Z obrien $
>
> And this file (and line) freebsd-update asks me to manually merge. I
> wonder why that is.

I, too, have seen this happen a number of times, and it is most frustrating
and time-consuming. What's worse is when you accidentally accept a change
when a conflict line still exists, and you have to start the entire process
over again. Sure would be nice if it was smart enough to not fuss about
these version control lines.