Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:31:09 +0100
From:      Peter Pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cant install second nic

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 02:40:40AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > device          ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
> > device          ed1     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
>

> > Then I added the assumed parameters for ed1 to  /boot/kernel.conf:
> > en ed1
> > po ed1 0x280
> > ir ed1 5
> > iom ed1 0xd8000
> > f ed1 0
> >
> > (where I took the ed0-lines as model again:
> > en ed0
> > po ed0 0x300
> > ir ed0 10
> > iom ed0 0xd8000
> > f ed0 0
> > )
> >

> They can't share the same memory address. Change 0xd8000 on one of
> them to something like 0xd0000 and see what happens.
>
> I have a ed NIC in my gateway. I had to use the floppy that came with
> it to set the port and IRQ. Then, I used that setting like you have
> above.

I really found a tools that helped me to find out the correct port and
irq in dos (330/5) and I also changed the i/o to 0xd0000 and I
implemented all these changes in kernel.conf, but nothing changed.

There is simply no single line of ed1 while booting beside the
kernel.conf-commands. I tried to give ed0 a wrong interrupt and I got
a errormessage "timeout on ed0", but I dont get anything from ed1.

When performing any ifconfig with ed1 I get the message "interface ed1
does not exist".
When performing the operation on the wrong-configured
ed0 I get a timeout-warning again.

again the steps I involved:
* added ed1 to my kernel-configfile
* compiled and installed kernel