Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:00:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/34908: libpng port makes bad dynamic library on -CURRENT

The following reply was made to PR ports/34908; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To: obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:54:17 -0800

 David O'Brien wrote:
 > On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:14:42PM +0300, Vladimir B.  Grebenschikov wrote:
 > > building programm with -g gives no more information at all, I have tried
 > > Linking aginst static library - works.
 >
 > This suggests a problem with the runtime-linker (rtld), not binutils.

 Works with the old binutils on 4.5, though... that suggests
 that it's *not* a problem with the rtld, rather a problem
 with what has changed.

 There was a problem on the Alpha based on an assumption about
 where one section started and another ended that was not true
 with the new binutils, but was true with the old ones.  Perhaps
 x86 has this same problem (i.e. assumption that's true with the
 old binutils, but not the new, about section ordering), only it
 is not as pronounced because of the alignment insensitivity of
 the x86 relative to the alpha.

 This implies that certain sections would be mapped twice, and
 work on the x86, unless they got large enough to spill over
 to a second page (the way ELF works).  I'd look there, first.

 What would be useful, then, is an objdump on both programs and
 both shared libraries to see the section layouts relative to
 what ld.so is expecting.

 -- Terry