Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2017 01:48:49 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        "Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Accessing UFS partitions from a Macbook

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 04:43:40 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
 > On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Tomek CEDRO <tomek.cedro@gmail.com> wrote:
 >

 > > Remember about native SSH on macOS (see System Preferences / Sharing /
 > > Remote Login) that could give you nice way to get the job done
 > > remotely :-)
 > >

 > Tomek has already mentioned it here, but in case it wasn't clear, turning
 > on Remote Login under Sharing (you can use your Daughter's account) enables
 > scp/sftp (and, of course, ssh).  So instead of plugging in the backup
 > drive, you can just upload the files from your own computer using scp or
 > sftp.  Since your backup drive is UFS and you're posting here, I assume
 > it's FreeBSD.  You can just use the command line tools in FreeBSD to send
 > the files over.

Exactly, as I figured from Tomek telling me where to go to set it up :)
Definitely my preferred environment where available.

 > Alternatively, if you're already running Samba on your FreeBSD machine,
 > note that macOS can act as a client to that.  You'd just connect in Finder
 > (smb://ip.address/share_name/) and copy the files over using Finder.

Thanks for another useful clue Chris, and also to Felix and Tom for
further discussion.  So many halpful and cluey people on this list ..

 > While macOS can't read FreeBSD's UFS, it's a nifty little UNIX[1] server in
 > its own right.  It's been a certified UNIX(r) since 2007's Leopard release
 > (version 10.7).
 >
 > [1] https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3627.htm

OTOH, it doesn't bother me at all that FreeBSD is not so blessed :)

I had a lot of fun in my 30 or so minutes, learning three-finger swiping
and such to get around, and once running Terminal, I felt quite at home.

She's since said "Dad, no more than 10 gigs, please!" so I find my 40GiB
msdosfs partition is more than enough anyway, as is a 16GB memstick, but
I've learned a lot from this thread.

thanks, Ian