Date:      12 Jul 1996 10:12:06 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
Cc:        zounds@INNOSOFT.COM, root@synwork.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mouse Outside of X

Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org> writes:

> 	Not in the console driver (though there is probably some
> 	kernel level support).  This function is provided by the old
> 	'selection' or the more current gpm (generic protocol for mice??)
> 	by Allesandro Rubini (based on the selection code by Andrew
> 	Haylett).

> 	Midnight commander includes support for gpm -- so that one
> 	gets mouse support for the app -- just like the old Norton
> 	Commander for DOS.  Any time a non-mouse aware (gpm) app
> 	is running gpm defaults back to it's role of allowing
> 	the operator to 'select' (mark/copy) and 'paste' any text that's
> 	displayed on the console.

This sounds like the environment in an xterm.  It will pass mouse
events down to the application if it asks.  I know that jove supports
this behavior, and I think I remember seeing something about emacs
supporting it as well.  I wonder if this 'gpm' sends xterm-like mouse
events?

> > I noticed in a different reply that this is supposed to go into 2.2.
> > Will the mouse give xterm-like events, so my emacs menu's will work
> > :-) or would that be impossible? (I am currently unable to run X, it
> > has something to do with disk space, and non-VGA display hardware)..

> 	Linux emacs doesn't exihibit support for gpm -- I suspect that
> 	this would require source patches to the binaries (elisp code would
> 	probably not be enough).

Maybe you need to set an environment variable (TERM=xterm perhaps) to
signal that it can expect xterm-like behavior.  The only reason I
brought that up is I noticed the MS-DOS version of emacs has mouse and
font-lock support (wonder how "they" did it?).

Fixing up syscons to fully emulate vt102 escape sequences, along with
xterm-like mouse events (be they from gpm or something else), would
probably be the best way to go, as you would have more support from
applications that use a mouse while running in an xterm.  Obviously
somebody has to be interested in doing this :-) I'm mildly interested,
but I'm pretty busy right now till at least the middle of August, maybe
even September.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!