Date:      Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:21:58 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports system quality

On 09/02/2011 06:25, Warren Block wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> On 09/02/2011 02:24, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>>> Finally, I recommend to install ports-mgmt/pkg_cutleaves and
>>> run it regularly after updates
>>
>> portmaster -s does the same thing.
>
> Well, sorta.  How it chooses what to offer to remove is different.
> portmaster -s offers to remove just gle here, then nothing on subsequent
> uses.
>
> pkg_cutleaves offers to remove every root and leaf port that's not
> depended on by another port.

Fair enough. My feeling on that is that it's dangerous, since even
though something technically may not be a dependency of something it may
still be needed. Users can do 'portmaster -l' and look at the list of
roots and leaves to see what could possibly be deleted, and then
'portmaster -e unwanted-port' will remove it, and then run portmaster -s
when it's done.

Doug

			-- OK Go