Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:03:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interpreting 'load' statistics

j mckitrick wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> When you run 'w' or 'uptime', how can you interpret the load
> statistics?  I always thought under 1 was okay.  I read that somewhere
> but now I'm not so sure.

I have a system that routinely runs between 2.0 and 4.0 with no slowdown
most of the time. I've seen systems running at around 0.2 or 0.3 that are
barely useable.

The "load average" function (see getloadavg(3)) is basically just an
indication of the average number of processes in the run queue, for the
last 1, 5, and 15 minutes. If the processes are lightweight, don't use
much CPU, memory, disk, etc., you can start up quite a few without a hit.

Starting, say, one large X application... Your load average won't move
much, but your system will sure slow down momentarily!

Stupid Programming Exercise (don't do this on your employer's computer):

Make a fork bomb.
Run the fork bomb AS A NORMAL USER.
As root, run uptime.
Kill the fork bomb.

ryan@stimpy$ uptime
 1:01PM  up 91 days, 10:17, 3 users, load averages: 572.68, 607.01, 388.05

What can I say... I know how to hose a system :-)

NB:
Actually, the work I did to get you the above output prompted a weird kind
of fork bomb that was hard as hell to kill without rebooting... Maybe I'll
document the fix and refine that into a PR :-)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon