Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:23:42 +0200
From:      Ducrot Bruno <ducrot@poupinou.org>
To:        "Grover, Andrew" <andrew.grover@intel.com>
Cc:        'Michael Nottebrock' <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>, "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, CURRENT@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] ACPI based support for suspend to disk?

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 05:18:25PM -0700, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> > From: Michael Nottebrock [mailto:michaelnottebrock@gmx.net]
> > > You are right. My PC supports this via BIOS too. The
> > > disadvantage is, that the bios handle it. I like W2K's
> > > feature to do it ACPI based (?). This gives my the freedom
> > > to suspend my W2K to disk and to reboot with FBSD. Later I
> > > reboot again and choose W2K and it restores it previous
> > > state. If the bios does it, it restores always the last
> > > suspended OS.
> >
> > AFAIR, the Win2k-Suspend2Disk is not ACPI-based.
>
> Win2k suspend to disk (STD) (aka hibernate aka ACPI S4) is using ACPI. ACPI
> defines 2 kinds of STD, S4 and S4BIOS. S4 is completely done by the
> operating system, and then uses the ACPI interface to turn the system off.
> S4BIOS...uses the BIOS, usually to a dedicated suspend partition.
>
> Having the OS save the system image to disk is generally considered the way
> to go. But of course that requires that your OS have that added capability.
>
> So yes I guess you *are* right in that ACPI doesn't actually do the suspend
> to disk, but it is involved in the process.

there is a little detail that I don't understand actually.  When we
want to enter S4 in:

sys/contrib/dev/acpica/hwsleep.c::AcpiEnterSleepState

we have to fill PM1AControl and PM1BControl with some values deduced by
the DSDT.  Those values are different, and I am ok with that for S1, S2, etc.
But for S4 and S5, there are different too.  If I am correct, this implied
a different glue logic for the hardware.  What is the difference expected
for S4 and S5?

Cheers,

--
Ducrot Bruno