Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:18:37 +1100 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@minnie.tuhs.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Caldera and the Ancient UNIX license

In article by Greg Lehey:
	[about if and how Caldera is enforcing the Ancient UNIX
	 http://www2.caldera.com/offers/ancient.html. Note also
	 that in fact they allow access to the code via
	 license described at http://www2.caldera.com/offers/ancient001/
	 without you first agreeing to the license...]

> That may be easier than you think.  I'm copying Warren Toomey on
> this.  Warren is (a) a FreeBSD user and (b) the person who negotiated
> these contracts in the first place.  Warren, Peter is thinking of
> porting the 2BSD file system (not sure whether that's UFS or the
> original UNIX file system) to FreeBSD.  As Terry observes, the current
> license doesn't allow that.

Firstly, call me crazy, but I thought the 2BSD filesystem layout was
essentially UFS, i.e i-nodes at the start, and therefore would be
pretty much the same as /sys/ufs/ufs in FreeBSD. I'll have to do a
compare of the source code and get back to you ....

I concur with Terry that as the license stands, you first have to prove
that a person has agreed to the license before you can give them access
to the source code. I would really like to get Caldera to at least
remove _this_ condition, even if they left the remaining conditions.
It would allow me to set up anonymous access to the old UNIX sources.

As for commercial use, that's a separate issue. I don't know how easy
it would be for us to talk Caldera into allowing that.

Which brings me to the question, does anybody know a good contact at
Caldera who can point us to the `right person' to negotiate on this.
I knew the guy at SCO who dealt with this, but not at Caldera.

> Note that Caldera is merely doing due diligence here; I don't think
> that they really care too much.
> Greg

See me comment about URLs at the top about this :)

I'll do a code comparison of FreeBSD /sys/ufs/ufs and 2.11BSD ufs
while we wait for contact with Caldera.

Cheers all,
	Warren