Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 2003 23:41:21 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Greg Pavelcak <g.pavelcak@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do hackers drive?

Greg Pavelcak <g.pavelcak@comcast.net> writes:
> I'm a non-programmer. Is it the OO languages that talk about
> "methods" when it looks like they're talking about something like
> functions, or is that something else?
>
> Choosing an appropriate technical term can be that difficult, but
> it's downright silly to choose a weird term for something that
> already has a perfectly good name. I can't stand to read the stuff.
> Every time I see "method" it pisses me off.

"function" is not a perfectly good name.  "procedure" or "subroutine"
is better in most cases (except when the function actually is a
function), and it is necessary to differentiate "methods" which
operate on objects from "procedures" which don't.  Formal type theory
provides us with better and more precise terms than "method", but
you'd probably like them even less (ever heard of "generators" and
"observers"?)

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no