Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 23:04:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Gifka Sovereign <gif@loop.com>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Matsushita cdrom

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Gifka Sovereign wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:
>
> > Gifka Sovereign wrote in message ID
> > <Pine.BSI.3.94.960706001554.672A-100000@loop.com>:
> > > On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > >   What do you mean by "cdrom player software"?
> >
> > He is referring to audio player software. And I also have a feeling
> > he's not altogether correct... there are a set of IOCTL's for handling
> > audio playing of CD's, and it's probably more that not all the
> > non-SCSI device drivers handle the ioctl's properly (I'm no expert on
> > this though).
>
>   Ah, ok.  Well, I'm no expert either.  I will say that xcdplayer works
> well with my matcd.

Now works with mine too.  Trouble was that the Soundblaster 16 docs come
with no mention of any options setting either irq or ioaddr for the
cdrom, but the matcd controller line in the config file wants one.  I'm
using some info from Brian Clapper, which has me working, but he admits
he has no idea why it works either.  I *hate* magic incantations.  If I
could get any more info, I'd write up a handbook submission, but all I
have is a working system (now).

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |