Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 19:34:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS login problem

I have set up an NIS master server and a client, both running 2.1.7.
Ypserv is running on the master, ypbind on both (server bound to itself),
yppasswdd on both.  Running ypwhich on both shows both bound to the
master.  Running ypcat passwd.byname on both shows the passwd file.  The
client is mapping user names on the master to uids on the server.  Changes
to the group file on the master affect the client.  Fingering a user on
the client retrieves correct info from the server.  Running yppasswd on
the client changes the master.passwd file on the server.  Everything seems
to work except logging in.  The des and kerberos libraries have been
installed.  /var/yp/ypupdate.log says nothing other that the maps have
been updated.  If I run ypserv in debug mode I see the query for a user
name and a succesful answer (I think).  It seems the client is not
authenticating or decrypting the password properly.  I installed a 2.1.7
client in a Solaris 2.5.1 domain and everything went smoothly. The only
error I see on either system is when su'ing to root I get the message
"su: kerberos: not in root's ACL."  If anyone has any ideas about what
may be wrong or what else to check I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Toby

home:  toby@milkyway.org
work:  tjswanson@tva.gov