Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:16:16 -0500
From:      "Nicholas Basila" <nbasila@epcot.revenio.com>
To:        <Geoff.Sloan@COMPAQ.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compaq ProLiant 3000 SMP and Ports Collection through HTTP firewa ll questions...

Hi Geoff,

    I installed it on a dual processor Proliant 1850R. You have to make a
change in the EISA utility, or whatever they call that system utility. There
is an option in there for setting system tables to full mapped. I had to
change that in order for FreeBSD 4.1 to boot with an SMP kernel.
    Here is the kernel config file from that server:

#
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.org/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.246.2.8 2000/07/20 02:51:02 msmith
Exp $

machine i386
#cpu I386_CPU
#cpu I486_CPU
#cpu I586_CPU
cpu I686_CPU
ident GENERIC
maxusers 64

#makeoptions DEBUG=-g #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

options INET #InterNETworking
options INET6 #IPv6 communications protocols
options FFS #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options FFS_ROOT #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options SOFTUPDATES #Enable FFS soft updates support
options MFS #Memory Filesystem
options MD_ROOT #MD is a potential root device
options NFS #Network Filesystem
options NFS_ROOT #NFS usable as root device, NFS required
options MSDOSFS #MSDOS Filesystem
options CD9660 #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options CD9660_ROOT #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options PROCFS #Process filesystem
options COMPAT_43 #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
#options SCSI_DELAY=15000 #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options UCONSOLE #Allow users to grab the console
options USERCONFIG #boot -c editor
options VISUAL_USERCONFIG #visual boot -c editor
options KTRACE #ktrace(1) support
options SYSVSHM #SYSV-style shared memory
options SYSVMSG #SYSV-style message queues
options SYSVSEM #SYSV-style semaphores
options P1003_1B #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options ICMP_BANDLIM #Rate limit bad replies
options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
options NCPU=2 # number of CPUs
options NBUS=4 # number of busses
options NAPIC=2 # number of IO APICs
options NINTR=32 # number of INTs
options         NSWAPDEV=20

device isa
device eisa
device pci

# Floppy drives
device fdc0 at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device fd0 at fdc0 drive 0
device fd1 at fdc0 drive 1

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device ata
device atadisk # ATA disk drives
device atapicd # ATAPI CDROM drives
device atapifd # ATAPI floppy drives
device atapist # ATAPI tape drives
options ATA_STATIC_ID #Static device numbering
options ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

# SCSI Controllers
#device ahb # EISA AHA1742 family
#device ahc # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
#device amd # AMD 53C974 (Teckram DC-390(T))
#device dpt # DPT Smartcache - See LINT for options!
#device isp # Qlogic family
device ncr # NCR/Symbios Logic
device sym # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
options SYM_SETUP_LP_PROBE_MAP=0x40
# Allow ncr to attach legacy NCR devices when
# both sym and ncr are configured

device adv0 at isa?
device adw
device bt0 at isa?
device aha0 at isa?
device aic0 at isa?

# SCSI peripherals
device scbus # SCSI bus (required)
device da # Direct Access (disks)
device sa # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device cd # CD
device pass # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

# RAID controllers
device ida # Compaq Smart RAID
device amr # AMI MegaRAID
device mlx # Mylex DAC960 family
device twe # 3ware Escalade

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device atkbd0 at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device psm0 at atkbdc? irq 12

device vga0 at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device sc0 at isa? flags 0x100

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device vt0 at isa?
#options XSERVER # support for X server on a vt console
#options FAT_CURSOR # start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT
lines
#options PCVT_SCANSET=2 # IBM keyboards are non-std

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device npx0 at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
#device apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
#device card
#device pcic0 at isa? irq 10 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
#device pcic1 at isa? irq 11 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable

# Serial (COM) ports
device sio0 at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device sio1 at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device sio2 at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device sio3 at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
device ppc0 at isa? irq 7
device ppbus # Parallel port bus (required)
device lpt # Printer
#device plip # TCP/IP over parallel
device ppi # Parallel port interface device
#device vpo # Requires scbus and da

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
#device de # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
#device fxp # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
#device tx # SMC 9432TX (83c170 ``EPIC'')
#device vx # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
#device wx # Intel Gigabit Ethernet Card (``Wiseman'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
device miibus # MII bus support
#device dc # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
#device rl # RealTek 8129/8139
#device sf # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
device sis # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
device ste # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
device tl # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
#device vr # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
#device wb # Winbond W89C840F
#device xl # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
device ex
device ep
# WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 wireless NICs. Note: the WaveLAN/IEEE really
# exists only as a PCMCIA device, so there is no ISA attatement needed
# and resources will always be dynamically assigned by the pccard code.
#device wi
# Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs. Note: the declaration below will
# work for PCMCIA and PCI cards, as well as ISA cards set to ISA PnP
# mode (the factory default). If you set the switches on your ISA
# card for a manually chosen I/O address and IRQ, you must specify
# those paremeters here.
#device an
# Xircom Ethernet
#device xe
# The probe order of these is presently determined by i386/isa/isa_compat.c.
#device ie0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
#device fe0 at isa? port 0x300
#device le0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 5 iomem 0xd0000
#device lnc0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 drq 0
#device cs0 at isa? port 0x300
#device sn0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device loop # Network loopback
pseudo-device ether # Ethernet support
pseudo-device sl 1 # Kernel SLIP
pseudo-device ppp 1 # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device tun # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device pty # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device md # Memory "disks"
pseudo-device gif 4 # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device faith 1 # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device bpf #Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
#device uhci # UHCI PCI->USB interface
#device ohci # OHCI PCI->USB interface
#device usb # USB Bus (required)
#device ugen # Generic
#device uhid # "Human Interface Devices"
#device ukbd # Keyboard
#device ulpt # Printer
#device umass # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
#device ums # Mouse
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
#device aue # ADMtek USB ethernet
#device cue # CATC USB ethernet
#device kue # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

    Good luck. It runs quite well on the Compaq hardware.

Nicholas

How