Date:      Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:52:23 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: no well-known ports?

Steve Howe wrote:

> i'm analyzing some ppp tcp/ip logs, and i see some
> source/destination pairs without any well known ports
> (from an ftp to ftp.cdrom.com) intermixed with the
> normal ftp sequences ...
>
> what does this mean, and should they be permitted?
> if so, how?  since none of the ports are well known?
>
> ie:
>
> 111.111.111.111:1464 -> 222.222.222.222:6345

	According to http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers:

msl_lmd         1464/tcp    MSL License Manager
msl_lmd         1464/udp    MSL License Manager

	6345 is in all likelihood simply the random port on the local machine that
service connected to. However it's almost impossible to tell anything more
without the real IP numbers, and I have no idea what ftp.cdrom.com has to
do with your example.

Good luck,

Doug