Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 18:30:21 +1200
From:      Richard B Mahoney <RBM49@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
To:        Subscribers to FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Statistics Package

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 07:29:47PM -0700, Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2001 13:27, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Gunnar H Reichert-Weygold <patron1_nospam@paganlibrary.com> types:
> > > Is there a stats package for FreeBSD similar to Minitab?

Sorry for the multiple quotes above. This is the earliest message
in this thread which I haven't deleted!

The other day I installed what appears to be an esp. good stats
package. I only did it for its graphics, but there is much else
to it. The package is called `R'. I prefer not to do this but
their docs give a pretty good summary of what its capable of :

\begin{quote}

R is an integrated suite of software facilities for data
manipulation, calculation and graphical display. Among
other things it has
  * an effective data handling and storage facility,
  * a suite of operators for calculations on arrays,
    in particular matrices,
  * a large, coherent, integrated collection of
    intermediate tools for data analysis, =20
  * graphical facilities for data analysis and display
    either directly at the computer or on hardcopy, and
  * a well developed, simple and effective programming
    language which includes conditionals, loops,
    user defined recursive functions and input and output
    facilities.

\end{quote}

The suite compiles without issue and is available for free
download from:

 http://www.R-project.org/=20

I hope this is useful.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--=20
| 78 Jeffreys Rd                                 +64-3-351-5831 |
| Christchurch                                      New Zealand |
+-------------- mailto:rbm49@it.canterbury.ac.nz ---------------+

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--