Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:41:39 +0000
From:      Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
To:        nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba uptime

Hi,

Some more additions to this:-

> i don't know what classifies as a "samba server", but i've been running
> samba 2.0.2 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE in our office here... its currently at
> 176 days uptime and i've not had a problem with it at all.  only thing is
> sometimes i make config changes and have to SIGHUP smbd & nmbd.. but
> that's seldom and normal.
> also.. its a ppro180 w/96 MB RAM...  solid as a rock

This will stay up for months yet.

> as far as your "network is busy" problems... i'd look at the client
> machine first... if its running win9x, try a reboot first...
> i've had minor issues like that myself.. but a reboot (of the windoze
> client machine) has almost always solved the problem...
> i don't know for sure.. but i think it has something to do with the
> WINS service and browse-mastering.
> anyway... i'd bet that its not your fbsd/samba box... :)
> good luck!

you'd be right at saying it's not the FreeBSD box here.  Windows 98/NT
clients have all sorts of stupid WINS related bugs.  Basically, here, users
always moan that on NT, a "Network is too slow" dialog pops up all the
time.  This turned out to be mis-configured NT boxes.  Check the client
configs again and knock the wotsit parameter (TM) on the Samba server - The
election winning probability one (cant remeber the name) to something silly
high.  This seemed to kill it for a while but it's back again recently.  It
seems to be fighting with the NT servers a bit.  Oh well - time to install
freebsd on them

> Frankie Li wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >         I'm just wondering how long on average can a Samba server stay
> > up without restart.  Lately, I've been getting this "network is busy"
> > error when I tried to access the server from a Win95 box.  Such problem
> > never occurred prior to this week, and I can't find anything unusual
> > with the server.  No hardware or software change has taken place in the
> > past 6 months, and the server's load has never been pass 10%.
> >
> > The server configuration is:
> > PII 350, 64MB of RAM, 128 Swap.
> > The server has been up for 22 days (since the shutdown in winter break)
> > I'm running FreeBSD 3.3-Release, Samba 2.0.6
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Frankie

Hope this helps a bit

Chris Smith