Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:28:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu (Christian)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP questions (not necessarily FreeBSD)

>     I am looking for information regarding the relative strengths of
> TCP/IP vs. NetBEUI.  I realize that this is not really a FreeBSD
> question but since I know that many of the people on this list are
> either very knowledgeable about TCP/IP or have even written code for
> FreeBSD's implementation of TCP/IP, I thought I'd try here first.
> I'm not necessarily looking for someone to directly answer my
> question, pointers to further information on this topic would be
> greatly appreciated.  I would like to have some factual information
> on this topic because there are these Microsoft-brainwashed weenies
> here at my school that were claiming that NetBEUI was better than
> TCP/IP because xxx, and because yyy.  I want to be able to claim that
> TCP/IP is better because xxx, and also because yyy.  xxx and yyy
> would of course be reasons provided by somebody on the list or from
> some other source.

NetBEUI:

	o	existing standard at some sites
	o	do not need to assign network addresses to
		machines; machines self identify
	o	overall simpler clinet configuration

TCP/IP:

	o	can be routed; your machines can be on the
		other side of a router or on an IP tunnel
		over the public internet to create a
		private intranet.
	o	no "broadcast storms"
	o	offensive machines (for whatever reason)
		can be tracked by assigned address
	o	offensive machines can be partitioned at router
		level and identified for illegal use of
		address (security issues, etc.)
	o	Can interconnect easily with internet
	o	Can run most software requiring NetBEUI over
		TCP/IP with simple low level stack change
		(two files publically downladable from the
		ftp.microsoft.com site)
	o	SL/IP or PPP for remote connectivity over
		standard modem lines

That's without listing by drawbacks, which are much larger for
NetBEUI than TCP/IP (example LLC code, etc.).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.