Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:37:28 -0500
From:      Andreas Schweitzer <andy@physast.uga.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   microuptime backwards (again) and galopping time

Hi,
I'm another lucky individual who finds
microuptime : went backwards
on the console.
Plus : the time is galopping ! it was increasing its idea
of the time by about 1 minute per real second ...
And the microuptime console messages were just
flying over the screen.

The system is an Athlon with 4.2BETA.

This started under very heavy load including vinum.
Before we had vinum, the machine was under heavy load, too
and we did not have any problems for half a year.

After the load dropped, the flying time was slowly
approaching normal. After I power cycled the machine,
everything is normal again (let's wait for the
next heavy load). I power cycled it because I feared
some hardware problem with the oscillator.

I know : the solution is disable APM.
But what about the galopping time ?

Thanks
Andreas

--
Department of Physics & Astronomy  and  Center for Simulational Physics
University of Georgia                          Phone ++1 (706) 542 5043