Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:13:34 +0100
From:      Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recommended wireless card (or is there a chance to get either iwi or ath fixed)?

Hi Kevin,

lets say it this way: Right now the DWL-G650 works.
I'm not sure why, but I did reset the BIOS configurations to its
default and started manually configuration some of the used
interrupts. This is why the snippets of the logfiles I sent in my
previous mail don't match the current configuration.
Currently, the card uses irq 5 as supplied by cbb0.

The last messages I received concerning the issue were:
Feb 23 19:43:52 hasking kernel: interrupt storm detected on "irq5:";
throttling interrupt source
Feb 23 19:43:53 hasking kernel: interrupt storm detected on "irq5:";
throttling interrupt source
Feb 23 19:43:54 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
Feb 23 19:43:54 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 23 19:43:58 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
Feb 23 19:43:58 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 23 19:44:03 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
Feb 23 19:44:03 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 23 19:44:05 hasking kernel: interrupt storm detected on "irq5:";
throttling interrupt source
Feb 23 19:44:05 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP
Feb 23 19:44:05 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
Feb 23 19:44:09 hasking kernel: ath0: rx FIFO overrun; resetting
Feb 23 19:44:20 hasking kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP

This has actually been the last time that I've seen those errors. I
even transferred a PCBSD DVD iso image to my server using FTP.

I guess I made two mistakes during my entire testing phase:
1. I wrongly assumed that the issue with the ath card was the same as
the one I experienced some time ago, including some HAL issue locking
the card, interrupt storms during usage and crashes on removal of the
card.
2. After I did the BIOS reset I obviously just tested my iwi card.

While there are still some interrupt storm related messages, they seem
to appear during boot (HW init) only.

Kevin, thank you for your input, which made me review the issue again.
The only problem that remains is that my machine crashes when I remove
the card. I'll review this later.

Thanks again for your help, I'm happy that I can use this card as
expected, and that I don't need to get another one.

Regards
Christian