Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:34:27 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Rudolf Cejka <cejkar@fit.vutbr.cz>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9-RC1 (i386) available on ftp-master

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 01:02:23PM +0200, Rudolf Cejka wrote:

> Just a small note: It seems that load of ftp-master has been
> successfully (?) reduced, so ftp-master.cz is already in sync
> (about 45 minutes ago) and contains both packages-4.9-release and RC.

We're still working on it.  But trying...  Peter rearranged the disks
on ftp-master which might be helping overall I/O performance.  I've
been experimenting with ftp-master.us.  It seems rsync users can/do
benefit from using ftp-master.us depending on where on the net you sit
relative to us.  cvsup users can wind up with shorter transfer times
once the transfer starts but there is an issue with the sup cache
files I need to deal with before we think about moving more cvsup
clients over.  cvsup's speed gains are done in part by having a cache
file the server uses instead of doing what rsync does which is a full
tree scan every time it runs.  The problem is that cache file doesn't
get put into place on ftp-master.us until my cvsup from ftp-master
completes.  Ick.  I didn't find out about that until we got a couple
machines using cvsup from ftp-master.us.

If I can come up with a way to build the sup cache files locally
instead of relying on cvsup itself to do them that would help but
now isn't the time to be experimenting with that.  So ever since I
noticed the problem with these sup files I've only been asking
rsync sites about switching over.  That is hopefully helping out
ftp-master too...

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu