Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 14:47:34 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Move /usr/sup to /var/db/sup?

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 02:39:44PM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:42:32PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:36:05PM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > > Just a minor thing, but I would think[0] most people would agree that
> > > /var/db/sup is a much more logical place for the CVSup "base" directo=
ry
> > > than /usr/sup. Yes, it doesn't take up much space on /usr, but for
> > > those who don't want to write to /usr[1] too much or mount /usr read-
> > > only, it's an irritant.
> > >=20
> > > Of course, there is one big reason not to change it, because it would
> > > be a change.
> > >=20
> > > Personally, I don't think it will be disruptive to make changes to the
> > > example files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup. People who already have
> > > /usr/sup populated are using their own localized versions of these
> > > files, so the change won't affect them (not that losing the "sup"
> > > directory is that big of a deal). A person starting with a copy of
> > > one of the examples is probably starting a fresh CVSup and will be
> > > creating a new sup dir anyway.
> >=20
> > This seems reasionable.  If you're going to do it, I suggest adding
> > /var/db/sup to the appropriate mtree file so it always exists.  That
> > way people who blindly copy their supfiles to /usr/sup will still get
> > something that works and their finger memory won't be broken.
>=20
> Hmmm... /usr/sup is not in BSD.mtree.usr. I believe cvsup(1) creates
> it when it does not exist. Are you saying we should add it to
> BSD.mtree.var even though we don't create /usr/sup? Or are you
> saying to create /var/db/sup and make a symlink in /usr to it?

Hmm, for some reason I've always copied the example supfiles to /usr/sup
before editing them.  For some reason I'd assumed this was something
I read in the documentation in the distant past, but I can't find any
evidence of such a recommendation so I may just made that convention up.
Given that, I don't think it's necessicary to create /var/db/sup, but it
might be a nice idea anyway.  Another directory in /var/db certaintly
wouldn't hurt anything.

-- Brooks

--=20

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24