Date:      29 Oct 2003 09:10:46 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        whizkid@ValueDJ.com
Cc:        whizkid@valuedj.com
Subject:   Re: PostFix error

whizkid@ValueDJ.com writes:

> > You forgot to disable the log generation in the daily periodic(8)
> > script.  There are some other daily operations you should probably
> > disable, too.  Try:
> >     daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
> >     daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
> >     daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
> >     daily_submit_queuerun="NO"
> > [in periodic.conf(5), of course]
>
> I see a periodic folder off of /etc but no periodic.conf file.  Should I
> just create one with the above settings?  Also it seems that there are
> only 2 errors, not 4.

man periodic.conf

> Ahhh I see the error now....  In the periodic folder, under daily there is
> a script called 150.clean-hoststat
>
> this file contains the following lines:
>
> if [ -z "$(sendmail -bh 2>&1)" ]; then
> 	    rc=2
> 	else
> 	    echo ""
> 	    echo "Removing stale entries from sendmail host status cache:"
> 	    rc=0
> 	    sendmail -bH || rc=1
>
> this is the source of the bh errors.  I will disable this command and see
> if I get any more errors.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
> Is there a way to do this is PostFix or is this done automatically?

The correct way to do this is with the configuration lines I gave in
the previous message.  The one causing the error you see in the log is
the first of those configuration lines.

Modifying the periodic scripts directly will work too, but you'll need
to keep merging your changes as you update the system, so it's a less
recommended approach.