Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 19:37:08 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org, jmz@freebsd.org, rich@freebsd.org
Subject:   X distribution

In message <199510190541.WAA02419@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU> Satoshi
    Asami writes:

>Gosh, so many mails on this topic, but I'll reply to this one.

> * >If it is distributed as the standard source + patches which get applied
> * >at build time, then fine.  I'm not really worried about the run-time set.
> *
> * Yes, it is distributed as standard tarred source and my patch applied
> * even at install time. But it is distributed as ready-to-run FreeBSD
> * binaries set too with my patch imbedded.

>This is not correct.  As far as I know, Rich Murphey (who is getting
>this mail via CC:), who is responsible for building XFree86 binaries
>for the releases, is not using /usr/ports/x11/XFree86.  The latter was
>invented and maintained by Jean-Marc Zucconi.

??? Oops! Really weird. Why we need two building systems instead of one?
BTW, is it correct in part that sources distributed in unmodified
way or not? I remember I saw standard XFree gzipped tarballs into
2.0.5 CD.

> In particular, if you build from the one in ports, you won't get many
> of the programs on the contrib tape (most notably xload and xeyes).

It means that contrib tape must be fetched and included to
XFree86 ports too. Jean-Marc, what do you say?

>I'm not sure what I should do on this, can you (Andrey) check with
>Rich and Jean-Marc and make sure we are all in sync?  Or you guys
>(Rich and Jean-Marc) can just reply to this mail.

I think the real way to be in sync is maintain XFree86 port
properly and maybe add all missing parts to XFree86 port.
Rich, do you got my locale.alias patch or I need to resend?

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -