Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 12:32:58 -0400
From:      Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd and predictable ppp unit number

i'm working with some stuff (zebra and vpn-like tunnels using ssh/pppd) where
it would be very nice if i could predict (specify) which ppp unit number
applied to a given ppp session.

i've been using pppd (kernel mode) and would prefer a kernel level
connection, as opposed to the userland ppp.

as i understand it, pppd by default uses whatever ifunit number the kernel
returns.

i was thinking of hacking /usr/src/usr.sbin/pppd to allow for a "hardwire x"
config option, which would cause pppd to fire up using unit pppx.

this would allow me to create a session on pppx, and use pppx in my router
config.

i understand that this could create some oddness, if not all the ppp session
on the box use hardwired unit numbers (ie. a link goes down, and another
non-hardwired pppd session grabs the hardwired unit).

it would be my intention to have this option documented as an all or nothing
option.

it might also be handy for people who want their ttydx devices to match up with
their pppx devices.

is this advisable?

is this already done?

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]