Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:25:30 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslogd: bind to localhost only

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:54:48 EST, "Jacques A. Vidrine" wrote:

> The following patch adds a "-L"  option to syslogd to force binding to
> localhost  only.  This  is useful  for running  syslogd in  a chroot'd
> environment, where the log socket will not be available.

This seems like an awfully specific kludge.

First, what does this give me that -a and -l don't?

Second, assuming I'm missing something above, why not implement the
option such that the operator can choose to bind to _any_ address(es)
using some kind of -i option?  Why _only_ localhost?

Ciao,
Sheldon.