Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:30:43 -0500
From:      "chris corayer" <ccorayer@hotmail.com>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Removal of netns - politically correct version

"> if it can be made to work.  I would argue that ISA support is
> > more or less just as obsolete, as is 486 support, as is the F00F
> > bug workaround, as is ... a lot of code that's still there.
"

That's just being silly.  ISA support is still very much a requirement.
Laptops usually have ISA stuff in them.  Even modern systems do.  My Shuttle
box developed all sorts of issues when I removed ISA support from the
kernel.  They were all solved when I put it back in.

We're talking about legacy stuff IN USE.  If no one noticed it was broken
for years then no one used it.  It all seems like there was zero interest in
in until it was announced that it was going away and suddenly someone wants
to keep it around and submit patches, etc.  It wasn't a case of "I'm still
using it, here's a patch to make it work."  It was "I did some work last
night to patch it so it would compile."  Those are 2 VERY different
arguments.

I would say that you should submit your patches and documentation by all
means should anyone in the future.  But if no one needs it, the code should
be retired.  Lack of a maintainer, lack of a userbase, issues with kernel
maintenance are all valid reasons to retire code.  This is code that the
manufacturer wanted kept years ago and then didn't bother to keep up their
end of the bargain.  Fix it if you want, but it should probably be axed.

My probably uninformed .02$.

-Chris Corayer