Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 09:03:02 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My position on commiters guide 10.4.4

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 00:48:52 -0400, Brian T.Schellenberger wrote:

> Really, ports that change without version number changes are a real pain to
> deal with, and a new port should be rolled up for them only if there is a
> very good reason (which the porter understands), which is all this rule seems
> to be saying.

I want to especially note that when version number IS CHANGED, we exact in
the same situation, i.e. from security perspective all things from 10.4.4
must be done, like complete diff, description of all changes, etc. I found
not logical to enforce that requirement when version number is not changed
and forget it when it is changed. Do the version number change bring any
safety? Of course not, hacker can just upload new version with changed
number.

> So your position of simply not updating the port until the version number
> does change certainly seems reasonable to me.
>
> If there's somebody else who needs your port _so_ bad that he _must_ get it
> before the version number changes then *he* can do the ports and fill in all
> the necessary information.
>
> Am I missing something here?

You are correct, but I don't think it is perfect solution, it is forced
soultion. I will be more happy if that illogical rule will be removed.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/