Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 22:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tim Palmer <timpal@intercall.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 and compile problems

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Tim Palmer wrote:

> I installed 2.1.5 recently from the WC CD-ROM and have run into a
> problem. I can't seem to compile anything. I've tried kernel compiles -
> both GENERIC and my own - and get signal 10 and sometimes signal 11
> errors. I can restart make and it will pick up where it failed, often
> continueing on, only to fail again. I managed to get through compileing
> my kernel once after at least 10 of these restarts. The kernel didn't
> work - "nobody wants to mount my root" but that may be my fault. There
> seems to be a minor pattern to the signal failures - often at the same
> places, but not always. I also tried to compile lynx with the same
> results.

This is usually indicative of two things:

1)  Bad memory modules.
2)  Possible speed conflict (mixing 70ns and 60ns parts)
2)  Bad processor cache modules.

If you installed any new RAM recently, replace it.   The best thing is to
find one manufacturer and use it for all the modules.  Also find a good
vendor that sells consistently good chips.  if you keep getting bad ones
from someone, buy them from somewhere else.

> 	From some of the posts I've read, this seems like a memory and/or
> hardware timeing problem. The machine has Win95, WFW, OS/2 and NT WS
> 3.51 and they all work fine, although I primarily use Win95.
> Configuration is:

I'm surprised OS/2 hasn't been giving you TRAP 2's.  It's fairly touchy
about bad RAM.