Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:10:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about 2 subnets on the same switch.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>

> > I recently got ADSL from pacbell and I have a weird problem that
> > I have found a fix for, however i think the fix is a hack.
> >
> > pacbell gave me a /29 subnet (btw, only 5ip addresses stinks...)
>
> Considering you only need one, that's pretty liberal. :)

Well, It's kind of a pain to run ICQ behind nat...  (it's required
for work)

> > my goal was to still have ipfw filtering through my router/firewall
> > (freebsd 4.0 that i keep quite current)
> >

> >  ____________      ____________        ______________
> > | ADSL modem |----| Fbsd Bridge|------|100mbit switch|
> > `------------'    `------------'      `--------------'
> >              ^    ^            ^        |||      |||
> >              |    |            |      192.168   real IPs
> >   216.99.74.57    |    216.99.74.58
> >   (gw address)    |       (xl0)
> >                 no ip
> >                 (de0)
>
>                   ^^^^^ Er?  Shouldn't this be 216.99.74.57, or is PacBell
> running their ADSL boxes in routing mode?

They told me to use 216.99.74.57 as my gateway, I assume the modem's
interface's address is 216.99.74.57.

> > the Bridge is running the net.link.ether.bridge + bridge_ipfw sysctls
> > to forward packets, note that the de0 interface on the bridge doesn't
> > have an IP address....
>
> Ah, dummynet... I haven't set this up so you're on your own.

BRIDGE is kinda cool, especially since you can IPFW the bridged packets...

very useful...

> Unless the inside machines need the real IPs _BADLY_, I suggest running
> natd on the FreeBSD box and running the entire network using 192.168.*.
> This will save you money since you don't need thse static IPs.

Well... it's the ICQ thing, and i'd like to have seperate machines handling
things like www/ftp without cludging it with perm_link.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

-Alfred