Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 22:22:18 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CUPS

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 10:32:42AM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:

> In order to avoid the trauma of manually setting up a printer by
> editing /etc/printcap, I thought I would use CUPS. I noticed that it
> does exist in the ports collection, so I went ahead and installed
> it. However, I'm not really sure how to start it. In Linux, the usual
> way to run the CUPS configuration utility is to open Mozilla and type
> the url "http://localhost:631/", but when I try that in FBSD, Mozilla
> complains:
>
>   "The connection was refused when attempting to contact
>   localhost:631"
>
> The handbook doesn't say anything about CUPS, nor is it mentioned in
> my dead-tree reference "FreeBSD Unleashed." I assume that maybe CUPS
> is a recent port to FBSD? I welcome any suggestions on how to make it
> work.

There should be a file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d called 'cups.sh.sample'.
If you want cups to start with every boot (most likely) copy that file
to 'cups.sh'.  Make sure you are not running the base system lpd.  Check
your '/etc/rc.conf' file and make sure there is no "lpd_enable=yes" line
present.  To start cups without rebooting, enter:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh start

Hope that helps.

--
Glenn Johnson