Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 18:59:17 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Timothy J Luoma <public+FreeBSD@fdt.net>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Several documentation questioons (all short)

On Mon, Dec 28, 1998 at 06:42:47PM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> On 1998-12-25 01:45:47 -0500, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
> > 1) Is there a reason why there can't be gzipped versions of the handbook
> > offered in addition to the non-gzipped ones?
>
> No - except lack of time of the FreeBSD developers.

Just to make clear that this will not be the case with the new Handbook.
PS, PDF, RTF, and Word .DOC versions can be generated from the Handbook
with relative ease (once I get the JadeTeX patches back and tested).

I don't see any reason (except, possibly, diskspace) why the Handbook
won't be available as handbook.{txt|pdf|ps|doc|rtf}.{gz|zip|bzip2}

> > 2) Why is the PDF version on the FTP site but not linked to the webpage, and
> > the PS version isn't on the FTP site (at least, not where the PDF version
> > is).
>
> The PDF version is for windows users which does not have postscript
> readers and gzip archiver. It should not be gzip'ed.

Since there are PS, PDF, DOC, and RTF viewers for both Unix and Windows
(Ghostview, Acroread, mswordview, StarOffice, WordPerfect 8) it should be
available as both .gz and .zip (and .bzip2 if diskspace allows).

> The html, asci and ps versions are updated daily at the
> Web server www.freebsd.org
>
> The pdf version at the FTP server will be randomly
> updated by hand every quarter or so ...

Again, this will change, so that the more esoteric formats can be built
as frequently as the PS and Text versions.

		       subterra superque womblia liber