Date:      Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:13:15 +0200
From:      Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New motherboard advice

dgmm wrote:

>Has anyone installed FreeBSD using this board?
>
> 	Gigabyte 8S648FX -RZ ATX SiS648FX P4 Motherboard.
>
>http://www.digiconcepts.com/gigabyte_motherboards_105.htm
>
>SiS 648FX chipset
>Processor: Socket 478 for IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 processor
>Chipset:
>North-bridge: SiS648FX
>South-bridge: SiS963L MuTIOLŪ Media I/O
>CMedia 9761A Codec chip
>ICS1883 LAN chip
>
>Any hardware incompatibilities I should know of?  Should I avoid it like the
>plague? Or is it a nice, reliable, stable board?
>
>I don't see much mention in the hardware compatibility list for SiS chipsets.
>is there somewhere else I can look to find "recommended" motherboards?
>
>I'm intending putting an Intel P4 3.2GHz CPU in and DDR400 ram.
>
>It'd be nice if all the onboard stuff would play nicely with FreeBSD

Just standard hardware with no exotic devices. Should work out of the
box. I use a SiS chipset in my server as well. Maybe your LAN chip will
not be reconized out of hte box but I think it will. There's just one
way to find out ;)

And I'm not sure what you want to do with it, but if you want to make it
a server a 3.2 Ghz is way too much processing power. I have a 2Ghz with
400 MHz FSB and it's still "too fast".

Jorn.