Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 15:44:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jose Luis Scanferlato <jls@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles with PPP

On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, Jose Luis Scanferlato wrote:

> >Type 'add 0 0 HISADDR' here.
>
> Already done, didn't work. I was using the recommended the ppp.linkup file, i.e.
>
> MYADDR:
>   add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> I wasn't sure it was executed after the login process -don't know if that
> MYADDR is a sample label, or another macro like HISADDR- so I issued the
> command manually.

I've never had any luck with ppp.linkup.

Try looking at netstat -rn and make sure there are no erroneous routes in
there.

> >Disable routed.  It does bad things to the ppp routing.
>
> Are you suggesting that the handbook and the 'routed' man pages are wrong?
> Shall we change them? Anyway, how do I disable routed, and how do I tell the
> system that my mailbox account should be reached through the PPP link?

Huh?  In most PPP situations, you have one route in and one route out, so
you want that to be the default route.  routed has a really bad habit of
deleting default routes, even with the code in ppp to protect it's routes
from routed's cannibalism.  So I recommend to just turn it off.

It killed me once when our router went bananas.  It made me really mad.