Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 08:24:52 -0700
From:      Chameleon <swen@wavefire.com>
To:        wonko@entropy.tmok.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Celeron Question

Not sure what celery chips you've been using...
But we've had zero problems with them on NT or 98. Except of course, the
programmed in software crashes... :)
They also run FreeBSD great. ( i think they are happier with the real OS)

Swen

At 09:17 AM 6/5/00 -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>i've held the celeron in very low respect, i just don't like what it is (keep
>in mind i'm a long time sun guy so i tend to have a problem with x86 in
>general)
>and i have noticed that under WinNT/98 it tends to be rather unstable.  for
>example.  we have a couple Celeron based laptops at work, and running both 98
>and NT they would crash constantly.  our internal systems guy put 2000 on
>these
>laptops and POOF, stable as a rock.  so my question is, obviously some kernel
>tuning was done on 2000 to make it work well with the celeron.  maybe the
>celeron has a hangup or two with certain bits of the current x86 instruction
>set, i don't know, but anyway, back to the question.... what is the current
>status of FreeBSD on the Celeron?  i'd like to throw together some low cost,
>moderately powerful FreeBSD boxes, and the Celeron looks like it would fit
>the bill, as long as it is stable, otherwise i'll look to the Athlon, or worst
>case, K6-II, although a slot2/370 combo motherboard so i can upgrade to full
>strength Pentium IIIs when the time comes is an attractive deal.  (the time
>being after the Pentium VII has been released and the IIIs are dirt cheap)
>
>thanks,
>
>-brian

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hardware" in the body of the message

Your mouse has moved.
Windows NT must be restarted
for the change to take effect.

Reboot now? [ OK ]