Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:27:44 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The short and curlies of vista networking

Long ago in 2007, I saw a M$ article that describes that Vista has an
extremely short delay period to get an IP.  If it doesn't get it
within 1 second, it gives up (and maybe tries again).  Common DHCP
servers ping an IP address, wait 1 second for a reply, and if no
reply, assumes the IP is available and leases it to the booting
computer.

This one-second delay might be causing Vista to time out.  The article
explained how to lengthen the timeout, but I'm going to direct your
attention to another vector.

Is your DHCP server authoritative?  That means, that no matter if any
other DHCP servers are on the network, the authoritative DHCP will
butt in and force/offer it's lease in preference over any other DHCP
traffic on the network.

The other question is why you have it as a bridge, when sysctl
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 might all you need.

Another Q is why you might have a DHCP server listen on one IP (let's
say it's the wired interface), but not on the wifi (this wasn't clear
in the OP, but it might be the case).