Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:09:10 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Daryl Chance <dchance@valuedata.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW:  keep-state

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 09:23:40AM -0500, Daryl Chance wrote:
> I'm looking to adding the keep-state options to my firewall
> rules.  What are the recommended places to put the keep-state
> options at?

keep-state rules can be in a lot of different places. However, the
check-state rule should probably be towards the head of the list.

> I'm not quite sure what keep-state is, i've checked
> the man page and its not really helped much.  Does it basically
> create, specific dynamic fw rules?

Yep.

> like:
>
> add allow tcp from any to any 21 keep-state
>
> does this become something like:
>
> allow tcp from 1.2.3.4 to 3.2.4.1 21
>
> ?  Or am I totally off the mark.

The source port would also be included and the reverse connection is
also part of the dynamic rule,

  allow tcp from 3.2.4.1 21 to 1.2.3.4 src_prt

What it is most useful for (but not the only use) is allowing the
reverse connection to an outgoing one. For example,

  allow tcp from ${ipo} to any keep-state

Basically will allow a TCP connection (two way communication) when
initiated by the local machine.