Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2018 08:44:42 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Lena@lena.kiev.ua
Subject:   Re: KBI unexpexted change in stable/11 ?

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 8:38 AM,  <Lena@lena.kiev.ua> wrote:
>> From: Kevin Oberman
>
>> Regardless of intent, updates to port based modules can and and will break
>> when the kernel is updated.
>
> Are packages for pkg.freebsd.org built on -STABLE or latest -RELEASE?
>
> After 11.2 is released, if package for nvidia-driver
> is installed or upgraded on a machine with 11.1-RELEASE,
> will it crash the kernel?
>
> If the port nvidia-driver-304 is updated before 11.2 is released,
> will `pkg upgrade` crash the kernel?

Packages are built on the earliest supported release of a branch;
never from the stable branch. These packages will be built from 11.1
until it goes EOL a couple months after 11.2 release.

Breakage of packages from an earlier release of a branch is not ideal,
so it would still be most helpful if someone could bissect this so
that we can assess the breakage and figure out next steps before it
becomes a bigger problem with the impending release.

I've heard good things about the aforementioned
devel/p5-App-SVN-Bisect for these purposes.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans