Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:05:40 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: French-Canadian Keyboard & keyboard switching

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:04:34 -0400 PJ wrote:
> Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 April 2009 15:20:34 PJ wrote:
> >> Cool. Then I can ask some questions regarding all of this.
> >>
> >> rc.conf: (snipped to show the relevant entries)
> >> font8x16="iso15-8x16"
> >> font8x14="iso15-8x14"
> >> font8x8="iso15-8x8"
> >> allscreens_flags="VGA_80x60 cyan"
> >> rpcbind_enable="YES"
> >> mountd_flags="-r"
> >> nfs_client_enable="YES"
> >> nfs_client_flags="-n 4"
> >> samba_enable="YES"
> >> cupsd_enable="YES"
> >> apache22_enable="YES"
> >> postgresql_enable="YES"
> >> mysql_enable="YES"
> >> webmin_enable="YES"
> >> #keymap=fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
> >>
> >> Question:
> >> 1. the font entries? The /usr/share/syscons/fonts/ entry has suffixes
> >> of .fnt - ???
> >
> > Your font and keymap settings are ok. The extensions can be omitted.
> > See the EXAMPLES sections in vidcontrol(1) and kbdcontrol(1).
> >
> >> 2. the keymap is commented out because, although it gives me the
> >> fr_CA keyboard, it also uses French messages which are a bit tortured
> >> (French courtly affectations in the language are quaint but also make
> >> for long and convoluted terminology - notice that a text translated
> >> to French is always longer). K.I.S.S.
> >
> > Keyboard settings shouldn't affect message localisation. Do you set
> > the environment variable LANG in ~/.login_conf or in a shell startup
> > script (.profile or .cshrc or other depending on the shell)? If so,
> > set it to en_CA.ISO8859-15 or something. From q5 below I think you've
> > currently set it to fr_CA.utf-8.

No answer. Which locale do you use?

> >> xorg.conf: (snip for relevant)
> >> Section "ServerLayout"
> >> Identifier "X.org Configured"
> >> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> >> InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >> InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> >> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"

Seems that you use new X stuff. X11@ and gnome@ maillist archieves may
give you some additional information.

> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "Files"
> >> ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
> >> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"

Unless I add cyrillic fonts, I'm not able to see cyrillic
letters at xterm for my utf-8 locale.

> >> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
> >> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/OTF"
> >> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> >> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
> >> FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "Module"
> >> Load "extmod"
> >> Load "record"
> >> Load "dbe"
> >> Load "glx"
> >> Load "GLcore"
> >> Load "xtrap"
> >> Load "dri"
> >> Load "freetype"
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "InputDevice"
> >> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> >> Driver "kbd"
> >> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> >
> > This might have to be pc105, but it probably doesn't matter.
> >
> >> Option "XkbLayout" "us,ca"
> >
> > Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#QWERTY
> > If you have Canadian Multilingual Standard, this option needs to be set
> > to "ca(multi)". If you have Canadian French, set it to "ca" or
> > "ca(fr)".
> This does not set it to the Canadian French; nor can I find anything
> that does... only my lame setup works using the French azerty (which is
> rather a pain because it involves complicated finger moves to get the
> accented characters - I'm familiar with it and can use it; it's just a pita.

Phil, you didn't say which keyboard do you use and which options you
have tried.

Anyway, you may look at /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst  [1]
for options that can be used at xorg.conf for keyboards.

And you may be interested in looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
There are many useful diagnistics at this file.

> >> Option "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle"
> >
> > If you don't need layout switching just delete this.
> I guess I wasn't clear. Toggling was meant to mean switching back and
> forth; switching - just once. I would like to use switching but it seems
> to only work one way. Can't switch back. rtAlt switches from us to the
> ca (which oddly seems to mean French, but nothing to do with Canadian or
> French Canadian. Only fluxbox brings it back and then rtAlt no longer
> works. Weird.
> Any idea where the documentation is for this?
> The man page is rather foggy and has no mention of XkbOptions or
> XkbLayout or anything about "grp:toggle"

Looking at [1] should help.

HTH & WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)