Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:44:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sam Pigg <sam@redbacknetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tyan S1836DLUAN >512Mb problems

>> Trying to use 1 gig of memory on a tyan S1836DLUAN (dual 450 PII's)
>> running 3.0-RELEASE, keep having problems with the system freezing up,
>> rebooting, compiles failing due to signal 11's etc. If I decrease the
>> memory to 512 megs (I'm using those weird micron 256meg simms btw)
>> everything works fine. Tyan claims this motherboard can support up to
>> '1GB SPD SDRAM or SDRAM+ECC in addition to the new 100MHz
>> SDRAMs'
>>
>> This motherboard uses the 440GX chipset, but another system with
>> a tyan S1832DL (440BX chipset) suffers from the same symptoms when
>> >512 megs of ram are installed.
>
>The problem is not with the motherboard. Most of the mother boards that
>support SMP PII's have the same problem.  I was unable to locate where in
>the configs the problem comes from though.  I was testing dual PII 400
>when they were first avalible from Compaq with 1.0 gig of 256meg dimms.
>They are recognized fine by the bios but FreeBSD won't work with it.   I
>tested NT, Novell, and Sco all of which work although no where near as
>well and the system with 512meg and SMP FreeBSD.
>
>Rob.

I've upgraded the board bios, changed to a new memory vendor, etc etc.
Still have exactly the same symptoms, and from what rob said it would
seem this problem is specific to freebsd, and not any particular motherboard.

Is anyone actually running a freebsd machine with more than 512 megs of
memory? Anyone have a clue at all as to why freebsd can't support
a gig of ram? windblows seems to have no problem (which doesnt help me much)

Thanks,
Sam