Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:13:37 +0200
From:      horst leitenmueller <horst.leitenmueller@liwest.at>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Heiner_Strau=DF?= <heiner_ej@yahoo.de>, Kavitha H Yogaraj <ykavitha@uw.edu>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD java installation help!

Hi,

you can install only the xorg libraries then not all dependencies will =
be loaded, but you always have to keep care what pkg is installing which =
dependencies.. ; i'm doing this inside of jails if not fitting i can =
drop it easily

// install xorg libs
cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg-libraries
make install

and then install the openjdk (i have installed 6)=20
i have build it and not install via .tbz

and running java (jboss) headless afterwards -Djava.awt.headless=3Dtrue =
as startup param

i have it running on freebsd 8.3

br horst

<heiner_ej@yahoo.de> wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> Am 19.06.2013 um 21:28 schrieb Kavitha H Yogaraj <ykavitha@uw.edu>:
>>=20
>>> Hi there,
>>>=20
>>> I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, have no idea how to install java in FreeBSD =
OS.
>>> In the resources available online, its said that fresh ports need to =
be
>>> used, some other also say that it didn't worked.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Hi,
>> you only need to compile and install the right port. For JDK 6 it is =
openjdk6, it will work. Please proceed as described in the handbook. =
Don't use parallel make jobs, it will fail with openjdk.
>>=20
>>> Could you please help me out in installing Java -headless (X11) in =
FreeBsd?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Building headless is an art of its own, you have to ask the openjdk =
people, it is not supported through the FreeBSD port system at the =
moment, at least not for JDK6. Maybe it is easier to build headless with =
JDK 7. Please inform us if you find a solution for headless, I'm very =
interested.
>> Greetings.
>=20
> You can always run it as 'java -Dsystem.headless=3Dtrue' or something =
like that. (Google remembers this better than I do.)