Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 08:17:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashes with Swing 1.0.1 and Lesstif 0.82/port

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Stephen Wynne wrote:

> In message <199803040326.VAA02968@damon.com>, Damon Permezel writes:
>
>     Perhaps you understand why I eventually decided that the $$
>     invested in a copy of Motif would be well spent.
>
> Damon,
>
> Indeed. I want to focus on Java, not Motif.
>
> Damon then continued:
>
>     ...and either they'll cut folks a deal, or funnel a bit back into
>     the SMP/native-threads/multiple-threads-from-one-process-schedulable-
>     -at-the-same-time effort so we can really get some perf?
>
> I don't understand what you're suggesting here; perhaps money spent on
> Motif for the Java effort at XiG can help the FreeBSD SMP effort? Good
> idea in practice, but I just want a UNIX-derived OS on which to build
> a reliable Java from source with debugging symbols. And maybe contribute
> a few bits and pieces while learning about the VM.
>
> o What is the Motif licensing arrangement? It's too bad we can't
>   create a "libawtmotif.so" from source, link to, and then
>   begin distributing that. Any creative but legally acceptable
>   suggestions would be appreciated. But I'm not holding my breath!
> o Which Motif libraries should I buy? Do I have a choice? From
>   http://www.xig.com/products/pricelst.html I can see that in the USA,
>   I'd be paying $150.

I called Xig yesterday about using their Motif-2.0 for FreeBSD-2.2.2 on a
2.2.5-stable box. The salesman said they do not support 2.2.5 at this time
and suggested that I return to FreeBSD version 2.2.2 or wait for Motif-2.1
later this year.  Naturally I would rather not do that.

Is anyone successfully using the XiG Motif-2.0 libs on a 2.2.5-stable box?

Thanks.

Chuck