Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:29:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE DVD playback on 5.1-CURRENT

Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> Again, no luck.  From vlc:
>
> [00000141] main input: playlist item `dvdold:///dev/acd0@1,1'
> [00000141] dvd input error: dvdcss cannot open device
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Could not open /dev/acd0 with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/acd0 for reading
> [00000141] dvdread input error: libdvdcss cannot open source
> [00000141] vcd input error: no movie tracks found
> [00000141] main input error: no suitable access module for `/://dvdold:///dev/acd0@1,1
>
> >From mplayer:
>
> Playing DVD title 1
> libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/acd0 for reading
> Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/acd0
>
> >From ogle:
>
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.5 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Could not open /dev/acd0c with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/acd0c for reading
> ERROR[ogle_nav]: faild to open/read the DVD

What about:

1)	dd if=/dev/acd0 count=1 of=/dev/null
2)	dd if=/dev/acd0c count=1 of=/dev/null
3)	dd if=/dev/acd0a count=1 of=/dev/null

If any of these works, then try that device, and if it still
doesn't work, then it's your libdvdcss not having support for
the drive.

> Yet the same DVD in the firewire drive works just fine.

The easiest thing to suggest: Continue using the firewire drive;
something about the IDE one sucks.  8-).

You might also want to make sure the drive is jumpered right
(master vs. slave), that it works on regular CDROMs, that it's

> I can certainly try recompiling the applications but, frankly, I'm really
> doubtful that will solve the problem :-(

Try the dd's and regular CD access.  If that works, it's your
software; if it doesn't, then it's probably the drive.

-- Terry