Date:      06 Jul 1996 22:38:07 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's up with ownership?

James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk> writes:

> > Is there any reason why files I create in /tmp (group owned by bin) are
> > also group owned by bin?

> This is the normal BSD behaviour. From mkdir(2):-

>   The directory's owner ID is set to the process's effective user ID.  The
>   directory's group ID is set to that of the parent directory in which it
>   is created.

It seems to me that, even though it might be a bit more complex, files
should not be created with a gid that you do not belong to by default.
That by itself isn't such a big deal, but some programs (like mv(1))
try to preserve the file's gid, and fail.

Maybe mv(1) should have that particular message silenced, since it
mostly superfluous anyway.  cp(1) with the -p option doesn't print a
message if it can't preserve uid and gid in the destination, and the
man page for mv(1) says that it uses rm(1) and cp(1) to move files
across file-systems.  I just tested this, and mv(1) only complains
when it is moving files, not directories, wonder why?

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!