Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:53:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: profiling on kernels

> Could someone please look into compiling kernels with profiling?
> [this is done by config -p on the kernel config file]

It works for me.  `config -pp' is broken in -current (due to an incomplete
upgrade to egcs).  `config -p' is broken in RELENG_3 (due to an incomplete
upgrade to elf).

> Also, this still has relevance to PR kern/9413, but I haven't had time
> to test the patches supplied. I will do that tomorrow night.

More complete patches ahve already been applied to -current:

RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/i386/isa/prof_machdep.c,v
Working file: prof_machdep.c
head: 1.14
----------------------------
revision 1.12
date: 1999/05/06 09:44:55;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +28 -23
Fixed profiling of elf kernels.  Made high resolution profiling compile
for elf kernels (it is broken for all kernels due to lack of egcs support).

Renaming of many assembler labels is avoided by declaring by declaring
the labels that need to be visible to gprof as having type "function"
and depending on the elf version of gprof being zealous about discarding
the others.  A few type declarations are still missing, mainly for SMP.

PR:		9413
Submitted by:	Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se> (initial parts)