Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 95 12:44:20 EDT
From:      tucker@meadow.mdso.vf.ge.com
To:        obrien@antares.aero.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Time to get serious

> QIC-80 (at least through the floppy controller) is a
> write-off as far as I can see.  My Colorado 350 is useless
> under FreeBSD but very reliable under DOS.  Unfortunately
> no one who has the Colorado 350 specs appears to have time
> to get the FreeBSD driver up to snuff.

I can't say that I have the Colorado 350 specs (wish I did...); but
I have come up with a hack to the ft.c source which works with my
Colorado 350.   I won't stand behind this hack 100%, but I did test
it enough that I was fairly calm as I upgraded from 2.0
to 2.0.5 ;)

As far as I can tell, the current ft code to detect tape length is
already a hack, so I don't feel too bad about this modification...
(NB: the resulting ft driver will only work for 425 foot QIC-80 tapes!!)

/usr/src/sys/i386/isa> diff -e ft.c.orig ft.c
1852c
/*  sts |= (ext) ? QTS_LEN2 : QTS_LEN1; */
  sts |= QTS_LEN3;  /* force len == 3 */