Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 12:07:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso8859-1?Q?Mattias_Bj=F6rk?= <thrawn@linux.nu>
To:        Ted Sikora <tsikora@ntplx.net>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Harddisk failure ?

Hi,

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Ted Sikora wrote:

> Mattias Bj=F6rk wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I get this error on one of my harddisc. I have two of the one, its a ib=
> > gxp 60 60 gb disc. And I always have my computers on, and one day when =
> > entered the room I notice that the machine with the two ibm discs hade
> > rebooted because my uptime has started from scratch. Im not sure but I
> > think that this caused the box to reboot. Any that can explain what mig=
ht
> > be wrong? I have replaced my gxp 60 60 gb disc with a 75 gxp 40 gb disc=
=2E
> > And I have not yet seen the problem again. The gxp 60 disc is on the sa=
me
> > cable as a western digital caviar xl 100 gb ata100. I don't know if it
> > could be a problem between them? Any how thanks in advance. And is a bp=
6
> > motherboard and I only use the ata33 controller.
> >

> It's the BP6 same problem here... resetting ata-x devices constantly...
> then eventually locks up. Started in -stable a few weeks ago. I finally
> put 4.5-Release back. Does it with any HD on the HPT366 or PII in
> -stable

But Im not using the ata66 controller on the m/b. Im only using the ata33
controller, see below. Or they are the same chipset? And so what you are
saying is that its not a hardware but a software problem? But sometimes it
doesn't lock up.

I allways have my computer on so I noticed that it hade
rebooted one time sometime under night because when read the uptime it
was wasen't more then 12-24 h something and before it was over 22 days.

Last time I tried to use my ata66 controler on my bp6 m/b, it kernel
paniced after a very short time if I don't remember wrong.

host# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <IC35L060AVER07-0/ER6OA44A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master:  ad2 <IBM-DTLA-307045/TX6OA60A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
    Slave:   ad3 <WDC WD1000BB-50CCB0/22.04A22> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
ATA channel 2:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 3:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present

Anyway thanks for the answer, and do you think I will help if a get
another ata controller? Like a ata133 promise controller?

Mvh Mattias Bj=F6rk

A dozen, a gross, and a score,
Plus three times the square root of four,
        Divided by seven,
        Plus five times eleven,
Equals nine squared plus zero, no more.