Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:50:40 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Vinum] Stupid benchmark: newfsstone

> Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
> >  And it's almost impossible to find
> >spindle synchronized disks nowadays.
>
> Seagate Barracuda's support it, I assumed that the newer Seagates did
> as well.  The impression I got was that all you had to do was wire the
> `spindle sync' lines from all the disks together and then designate
> all except one as a sync'd slave.  Admittedly, I've never tried
> actually using it.

Most modern "server class" SCSI disks support it.  It's not useful
unless you turn off tagged queueing, caching and most other drive
performance features.

> >  Finally, aggregating involves a
> >scatter/gather approach which, unless I've missed something, is not
> >supported at a hardware level.  Each request to the driver specifies
> >one buffer for the transfer, so the scatter gather would have to be
> >done by allocating more memory and performing the transfer there (for
> >a read) and then copying to the correct place.
>
> Since the actual data transfer occurs to physical memory, whilst the
> kernel buffers are in VM, this should just require some imaginative
> juggling of the PTE's so the physical pages (or actual scatter/gather
> requests) are de-interleaved (to match the data on each spindle).

You'd have to cons a new map and have it present the scattered target
area as a linear region.  This is expensive, and the performance boost
is likely to be low to nonexistent for optimal stripe sizes.
Concatenation of multiple stripe reads is only a benefit if the stripe
is small (so that concatenation significantly lowers overhead).

> What would be useful is some help (from vinum or ccd) to ensure that
> the cylinder group blocks (superblock + inode maps etc) don't cross
> stripes.

That's something that the user should take care of.  Any power-of-2
stripe size is likely to work out OK, as CG's are currently 32MB.