Date:      Mon, 10 May 2010 17:18:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ted Hatfield <ted@pat.io.com>
To:        Niels Heinen <niels@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spamass-milter-0.3.1_9 leaving open zombie processes.

Forgive my ignorance and the long rambling email below.

I have limited knowledge of the intricacies of diff and the patching
process so I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for when you say
"Can you perhaps send me a port diff?".

Here is a full description of the process I went through to get the milter
running on my servers.

Because I did not know which patches you had already applied to the port
nor where you had obtained them, I determined that I would need to patch a
copy of the original source by hand with the patches I found at the
savannah.nongnu.org website.

I downloaded the original source from the savannah.nongnu.org
mirror site.

I then applied the two patches I listed below to the original source and
verified that it would "configure" and "make" properly.

These patches can be obtained from http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29326
file #20020 and file #20284.

Once I know that this was working properly I then verified that the
distfile the port was downloading was the same as the source I downloaded
from the savannah.nongnu.org repository.  This convinced me that I could
modify the patch files in the /usr/ports/mail/spamass-milter/files folder.

Each of the patch files I downloaded from savannah.nongnu.org consisted of
a combined diff for the files spamass-milter.cpp and spamass-milter.h.

I then separated each individual patch file into separate pieces.

I combined those separate pieces together into two new patch files that I
used to replace:  (note that I said REPLACED)

/usr/ports/mail/spamass-milter/files/patch-spamass-milter.cpp
/usr/ports/mail/spamass-milter/files/patch-spamass-milter.h

Although this "new" port is running on my servers and it appears to have
fixed both the security flaw and the zombie process bug,  I'm uncertain if
I have opened up any other security hole or bug in the process, because I
don't know what other patches you had in place that I removed nor what
their purpose was.

I sent my original email both as a way of informing the port maintainer of
the problem as well as a link to the code that purported to fix the
problem, hoping that you would have a better idea of what else I might
have broken when I "fixed" the problem.

If you require something from me that I can provide please let me know and
I'll do my best to get it to you.

Thanks,

Ted Hatfield