Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 09:10:42 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        eharley@lightside.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I use a mac as a serial terminal

    Eric> I have FBSD going on a pc and I also own a mac. Can I use
    Eric> the mac and a null modem cable to get a terminal session to
    Eric> pop up on the mac out of the pc?

Hmmm.  Tell you what, I'll answer the question in the `Subject:' line
because I don't understand what's in the body of your message.

Yes, get null modem cable and connect it between the serial port of
your mac and a serial port of your PC running FreeBSD.  On your mac,
run your favorite terminal software.  One with vt100 terminal
emulation should do nicely.  Set up some nice communications
parameters, say 38400bps, no parity, one stop bit, etc.

Now, on the FreeBSD side of things, edit your /etc/ttys file.  You
want to add (or edit if already present) an entry for the serial port
to which the null modem cable is connected.  You want to enable a
login session on that port.

For example, if I connected the null modem cable to my second serial
port (COM2 in DOS parlance, ttyd1 in more familiar terms), I need this
line:

	ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400" vt100 on insecure

This says on the second serial port (ttyd1), start a program
/usr/libexec/getty (which provides login sessions) giving it the
argument std.38400 (which tells it what terminal settings and bps rate
to use, from the file /etc/gettytab), and what the default terminal
type is (vt100).  The port is ``on'' and is ``insecure'' meaning root
cannot log in on that port.  If you want root to log in, change
``insecure'' to ``secure.''

Now, you just have to tell the init process to reread /etc/ttys so it
will pick up the changes you made:

	kill -1 1

does just that.

Now go back to your Mac.  You should have a login: prompt!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov